Create a To Do List for Tomorrow/Plan My Day the day before
You plan your next day of to dos and it would be helpful to create the to do list for tomorrow at the end of the business day
In the Planned smartlist, there’s a section called ‘Tomorrow’ where you can view your tasks due tomorrow.
The whole point of a planner is to plan ahead. Please add this feature so we can plan the My Day list for the next day. This means we can focus on and add to the Next Day list, items that are *not yet due* -- because who plans their day or next day by only looking at things that are due on that day??????
This is not a difficult concept to grasp.
Yves C... that's a great idea, then I can look at my list tonight for tomorrow and have things ready to go first thing in the morning.
Yves C commented
Due dates suck. Great in theory, but not in realtity. Simple and easy: let us create a "my day" plan for the next day. Makes sense to prepare your next day the evening before. As a workaround, i created a my own list called "today".
I also think this is urgently needed. I think in several ways this might work (A1 and B1 my preferred):
A) CHANGING THE BEHAVIOR OF MYDAY LIST:
1) Allowing in the settings a custom "day start time". So let's say you usually start planning your next day at 18:00h, setting "day start time" at 18:00h would make that every item added after 18:00h would be present in My Day list untill the following day at 18:00h.
2) Add a checkbox in the settings for an optional "set My day for tomorrow". Then, when you finish your work, you enable this option, and all tasks added to My Day would be included in My Day list of the following day. When you finish planning your next day, you can uncheck the optional feature to operate normally with the My Day list. All tasks that were added with the checkbox enabled will be preserved in the list until the end of the following day. Thus, you will have 2 type of tasks in My Day, some that will expire at the end of the day and others that would expire at the end of the following day.
3) "Extended expiry date of My Day" optional mode in settings. Similar to previous but easier to implement. When this mode enabled all tasks added to My Day would expire at the end of the following day.
B) SEPARATE MYDAY FOR TODAY FROM MYDAY FOR TOMORROW IN SECTIONS OR LISTS:
1) TODAY & TOMORROW SECTIONS IN MY DAY LIST. We could have 2 collapsable sections ("Today" and "Tomorrow") within My Day list, the same way there are sections (or groups) in Planned list. Tasks present in "tomorrow" section would be automatically transferred to the "today" section at the end of the day. We should be able to manually move tasks from one group to the other. In addition there should be a "today/tomorrow" toggle button in order to switch to which section will go tasks added to My day list. When in "tomorrow" mode, all tasks added by swiping or by other method would go directly to the "tomorrow" section. I find this a very clean solution. Ideally the toggle should be visible all time in the main menu or in the "My Day" list instead of buried inside the settings, in order to allow fast switching. If any time soon you allow grouping and collapse of tasks by list (As in "Planned" list) as many people has too asked, this solution would be in conflict with this feature. In this case the "today/tomorrow" toggle button I propose may swicth too between a "Today" and "Tomorrow" view, each one with its tasks grouped by lists, or directly implement the "tomorrow" view as a new true list (see next point).
2) TOMORROW LIST: Taking previous approach one step further and directly having 2 separate smart lists: "My day" and "My tomorrow". Everything added to "My tomorrow" would be automatically transferred to "My day" at the begining of the following day. Again we would need a toggle button to chose to which of the 2 lists would tasks be added when swiping.
Option A1 is not incompatible with the others. Having both features (custom start day + some kind of tomorrow mode/list) simultaneously may be useful for some cases. Imagine a person that works at unconventional work hours (e.g. during night). He/She may want be able to both set a different "day start time" and have the ability to plan the My day list before their custom work day starts.
It seems that option A1 would be the easiest to implement and would serve most cases (even those with unconventional work time hours, as they can set their day as they want), so this would be my starting point and include B later. From B, B1 seems the easiest and gives you a complete view of your tasks for today and tomorrow simultaneously, without the need to introduce a new smartlist.
Rahul Rajoriya commented
Jonathan Hooton commented
Totally agree with this. It is so much easier to set the night before or for the next working day. We have a team meeting on a friday and we plan out the to do list for Monday which at the moment we sort by due dates but sometimes that is only the start date not the due date.
Totally concur. I don’t always run with due dates on my todo items. I add items to the ‘my day’ list and often want to roll them over to the next day with out having to go back to their source list to find them. If I could transfer them in the evening to a tomorrow list which automatically becomes the ‘my day’ list the next day this would be problem solved. Thinking for tomorrow already done, all I’d have to do in the morning when my brain is not functioning is get out of bed and start ticking stuff off!
Totally agree! I was just getting ready to plan my day for tomorrow and saw we do not have this ability.... what! PLEASE, PLEASE fix this! Need the ability to set up my day the night before!
I hate giving up on this app but I need to make my 'my day list' the night before!!! why cant you fix this asap! it is so annoying and I cant stand it. it is actually costing me productivity and I dont understand why you cant get it through your design team that many of us plan ahead the day before, NOT the morning of! Fix it now so I dont have to learn and buy a new app! The 'TOMORROW' feature doesnt cut it because it takes too long to do individual due dates on everything. all; the things I love abt TO DO are totally UNDONE by not being able to populate MY DAY a day ahead!
Being able to plan 'My Day' the night before would be an incredibly welcomed feature and others have already articulated the many reasons why.
The reason why the 'Tomorrow' section of the Planned smartlist is not a substitute for this is this would assume you'd only start working on the task on the day due. Some may be more organised than this and wish to work on the task prior to the absolute cut-off deadline. A piece of work may also require a number of days work, providing another reason why you wouldn't wait until the due date to start.
I have some serious doubts about the 'UserVoice' plaform...
Over 7000 votes (first one raised 4 years ago) on a simple and much needed feature, and still no response?
Come on MS guys...
Amber Mason commented
Seriously I'm very happy to see so many people trying to get Microsoft to fix this issue. This wouldn't even be a difficult change to make. We should be able to create compilation lists that act exactly as "My Day" does.
Like others in this section, I will not be using Microsoft ToDo until this addition happens.
Greg Norman commented
This and/or the ability to designate a Start day to facilitate re-populating My Day after each reset (as well as an option to change the default reset time) are really critical and would make the reset much less painful.
Patrick O'Brien commented
What does it take to be heard on this issue? I stopped using this app months ago because it was lacking this feature. It has been over a year since MS said they are "working on it". I will not use this app until this change is made. Please hear us!
There are many examples of good use cases, but let me provide another. Geographically, I'm located in the U.S. Pacific time zone. Most of the people I work with on a daily basis are East of me (Eastern U.S., UK/Europe, India). As a result, my day often starts early with meetings. I don't have the luxury of time for planning the day and transferring items that might be in my Planned smartlist to the My Day list before meetings start (unless I start my day even earlier). Like many others who have upvoted this feature, I would benefit significantly to start my day with a My Day list already created from the previous evening.
Alain Dauron commented
Yes, we need it, and considering this is very different from the section « Tomorrow » in the Planned smartlist, everybody should vote and add comments to attract the attention of our beloved developers!
(I also like a lot the principle of multiple My xxx, like MyWeek or MyWeekEnd, but it does not seem that requested … see for instance https://todo.uservoice.com/forums/597175-feature-suggestions/suggestions/43193649--my-day-is-nice-why-not-similar-magic-lists, and vote for it if you like it!)
Ingrid J commented
Need this feature now pls
Short precision: the list we (7000+ users) need is To Do for next WORKING day. On the Friday evening, before switching off, I prepare my working list for Monday morning.
Neil G commented
Come on, Microsoft. We're list-makers. We plan our day the night before. We need the ability to sort and prioritize "tomorrow's work" today, on a separate list. Let's make it happen!