How can we improve Microsoft To-Do?

Automatic populating of My Day

I have several Lists each with numerous actions. I assign Due Dates to each action. Every day I have to troll through all my actions and Add to My Day on all those actions which are due today. It would save an awful lot of time if an algorithm could be devised by Microsoft which automatically registers those actions due today in My Day

4,425 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
under review  ·  AdminPolly (Community Manager, Microsoft To-Do) responded  · 

Our initial plan with My Day was to make a space where users had to be more intentional about what they could actually accomplish today. Due dates may be set for today but that doesn’t necessarily mean that you have the time to tick them off. By not automatically adding them to My Day, we’re trying to keep the user from getting overwhelmed. Tasks due today should appear in Suggestions so that it is easier to add them from there. That being said, we are looking at feedback and discussing the benefits of automatic population.

493 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • K. Wester-Ebbinghaus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dear Polly let me suggest an idea.

Remain "my day" as you have designed it as a space that starts blank reducing the pressure :)

implement an option in Todo to enable or disable auto fill with todos that are pending or scheduled for today.

so you remain your original idea of my day while giving other users the option to use my day in a different way. What do you think about this?

• Graham commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It really is simple. Change the wording "My Day" to something like "To Focus On" or some such wording. Then there is nothing to auto-populate in addition to the "Planned" section which is already populated automatically. The wording "My Day" suggests that this is what is due today - but if that is populated automatically it just doubles up on the Planned list. Just a word change for the My Day label is all that is needed.

• Adam Cook commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I understand the reasoning from Polly's response. Perhaps a toggle named to the effect of "Auto populate My Day with planned items"

• Greg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To respond to the Admin, Polly. Why not make My Day have an option to auto-populate from due dates?

• Leif-Arne Kristiansen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with both perspectives here: It's useful to keep user control over "My Day" to avoid the clutter, while it can be a hazzle to manually populate "My Day" from many different lists.

My idea for a compromise:
    Implement a function that allows the app to suggest items for the "My Day" view. Say a button to press that opens a wizard that shows items that might be relevant - for example based on impending deadline. Then the user can simply check of those items they want to add to "My Day".

• Juspo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add this as an option to the settings. Get the best of both worlds and let the users decide which they prefer.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like that My Day is fresh every day, but it would be great if what I had on my list for my day the day before came up in the suggested list for today.

• Bart commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd like the possibility to 'tell' MS Tasks when to put a task on My Day. So I can set a due date, a reminder AND an estimated time needed to complete the task.

• Adam Carter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like having My Day empty at the start of each day. If you change current behaviour, please keep current behaviour as an option.

• Chandan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with the initial suggestion.

On "Planned" tasks, can I get a button to quickly add a task to "My Day" list? Currently, it requires multiple clicks (right click -> Add to My Day) to add the tasks to "My Day". With that feature, I will be able to choose tasks that I would be working upon.

would like to indicate that i strongly disagree with this suggestion. Moreover i think of the my day feature as genius in it's simplicity. As such i totally endorse the initial design concept.
    If there would be one place to support the user in making the oneday selection, it would be through the suggestion view. But quite honestly, it think this works really good allready

• Stefan G. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

By the way, there is already a list "Planned" showing up all tasks based on Due Date.

• Stefan G. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I do not support this idea. Great with the my day is the fact, that it is empty and supports daily planning. Daily planning is an important daily task.
    If this idea will be implemented, then the user should have the choice to activate/deactivate this feature.

• ThierryJ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Personnaly i make the difference between Today and Myday so i'm fine with the way it works now. But as some other people seem not to make that difference, then let's them have the option to auto populate Myday with Today even if on my side i will not use it.

• F. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi all. I'm with quite a few others here. I would like to see all tasks due today on My Day but I now see that the Planned view gives you everything. So you can then select the ones you want to be on My Day. I kind of get that concept.

I will play with this a bit and see (having come from another app).

However, what would be really good would be an "OverDue" view. For those tasks that you didn't get to today, they automatically go into the "Overdue" view - so you can then select from them and get them into the "My Day" to have another go at doing them :-)

The last app I Have been using also has a "Due Today/Tomorrow" view - so you can see what is coming up tomorrow as well. Maybe the Planned view could show today and tomorrow....

Just a thought.

F.

I agree with MS guys. What is sheduled in lists is present by dates in Sheduled list. That is good. So it's separate what we should do and what we can do in day. Viljem

• Ophir commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My Day list with the smart suggestions is a simple but rather genius idea, and should be kept.

As it's a different approach so not every new user understand how better it is then just a "Today" list that get tasks piled up in advance.

There is the "Planned" smart list for seeing pre-planned tasks, "Today" can be given a larger place there.

Another options is to make (optional) smart list for "Today".

Anyway, My Day should be kept and should not be turned into another "Today" list that almost every generic To Do app has. 😎

I wonder if your initial plan was to make a block notes or an useful and active agenda. If the second is the case, please, do not delay longer to add this simple but fundamental feature (which must be optional for the user), commonly known for decades as "automatic rolling up" (of items in agenda). It's urgent, because it's really tedious and time consuming having every day to populate the view My Day with the undone items of the previsous day. (Moreover, it is hateful not finding automatically in My Day the items planned for that date...)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 24 25

Feedback and Knowledge Base