How can we improve Microsoft To-Do?

Add tags

Tags would allow organization across lists and folders.

Say I have a few tasks that all have the tag #amazon, I could hit the tag and see what other things I need to grab from Amazon regardless of the list or location.

Another useful example would be for modules in a project, #backendAuth #frontendAuth #databaseStoreProcs, regardless of which sprint/list they're located in.

1,689 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Jared OstynJared Ostyn shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

33 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • RayVraRayVra commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Obviously, no one from the To-Do team is bother to monitor this. This feature was added a couple of weeks ago. This is one of EIGHT, from Wunderlist that are missing (see my Twitter post, @RayVra)...

• Fil SapiaFil Sapia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Honestly it would have been so much easier if they simply renamed Wunderlist to To-Do...

• RayVraRayVra commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The ability to add "defined" hashtags (i.e., #subject) is critically important to allow users to "find" tasks that might exist across multiple different lists and folders. Like Wunderlist, the user shouild be able to "see" the list of previously identified tags when they begin to add a tag to an item (to eliminate tag spelling errors).

I would not be able to get the benefit that I currently receive from Wunderlist withOUT this capability. It is a show stopper for me.

• ScottScott commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Tags, yes please. For GTD, the lists r task/action types, so tags would allow for project categories eg to see whats required for my reno project that day or week. But make it simple to apply AND change tags. Not buried in multiple steps like dialogue boxes to be confirned, just drag n drop.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes it will be a game changer for me to use this, if the contexts (e.g.: Places, people, etc.) can be managed with tags/labels (e.g.: Use # and @, etc)

• MartinMartin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The reason I don't see the tag system in Wunderlist / To-Do very useful is the possibility of mistyping the tag.

Let's say you use a #bank tag (or whatever else), but in one case you mistype it as a #bnk. In this case, you'll not find it when you need it - making the tags highly unreliable.

- A drop-down list of tags when typing # would solve this.
        - both when creating or editing the task.

Tagging is already implemented by using #tag. However all active tags should be visible as links, for instance at the bottom of the sidebar, and with the number of todo’s that are marked with the actual tab.

• EthanEthan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Being able to use tags to QUICKLY associate a single to-do with multiple lists would be an absolutely fantastic feature. It would be similar to how the current My Day list works except you would use tags instead of dates to associate to-dos with a list.

Typing out #tags for each item and then having to do a search each time you want to create a #tag list is simply a crude and inefficient work-around.

• Neal RowlandNeal Rowland commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ability to view all the hashtags used throughout the app to categorize / tag items and notes on one screen. Could be "hashtag clouds" or other visual representation of tags. Users can click on a 'cloud' and they are presented with a list of all the items (to do and completed?) that have been tagged with that #hashtag [assuming that the hashtagging feature is being ported over from Wunderlist]

Tags are vital for the many who use David Allen's GTD system to organize their todo lists, and also to get full integration with outlook.

• Peter ByromPeter Byrom commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please keep the hashtag feature from Wunderlist! It's critical for connecting associated list entries together.

For example, in a list of project goals, there may be an item such as:

"Setup new bank accounts"

And on a list of phone actions, there may be an entry such as:

"Call bank to arrange appointment"

Without the hashtag, there's no quick way of being able to check what the next action is on the project.

With the hashtag, however, you can click on:

"Setup new #bank accounts"

and immediately see that the associated Next Action on that project is:

"Call #bank to arrange appointment"

Being able to tag and connect list items in this way is crucial for maintaining an efficient system. It would be a sad step backwards if this key Wunderlist selling point were to be dropped, and I would not use it.

• MikeMike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is implemented. Use the '#tag' and you will be able to group by tasks with the same hashtag.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base