How can we improve Microsoft To-Do?

Natural language support

When entering to-do's you should be able to enter the item with natural language such as "Meeting with John today at 3pm" or any number of a wide range of ways. The app would know that it needs to be done today at 3pm. Other shortcuts should be supported including the reoccurring items such as "the second Monday of each month".

Natural language is faster to enter items vs selecting each field. After you enter the task with natural language there should be some visual que that tells you the system has recognized the item such as date, time, list, etc.

Todoist supports this and if you want people to change platforms this is a must have feature.

2,590 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Will Wilson shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

83 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Grant McLravy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is something that is still keeping me from switching to To-do from Wunderlist. I mass input all of my school assignments when I get a syllabus, and natural language support saves so many clicks.

• Vitaliy K commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also add ability to use
    - @ to tag / assign task to someone else
    - # to specify project / folder
    - ! to specify importance

• Felix commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just shifted from Todoist app and hope that Microsoft Todo will have the similar feature

• Rajat commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Shifted to Microsoft todo recently from tick tick for a more simpler app but it doesn't have a natural language feature.
    That would have been great for due dates reminder etc. 🙏

• Diego Machado commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I love Microsoft To-Do More still need many things, but syncing with Outlook calendar and natural language support having these two To-Do support will be the best.

• JB Bunyi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As mentioned in other comments, this is keeping me from just competely forgetting about something like Todoist.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just copy it from Todoist. Probably not so hard to implement, you can start to offer natural language for simple task and continue adding it for recurring tasks, etc.

• Igor Paraskeva commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It should be a top priority. The speed of adding tasks is crucial to GTD method and I personally know several people who are ready to switch from Todoist when natural language will be added to To-Do.

• Coco commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Well the thing is that this has to be, in my opinion, realistically implemented.

For example in Wunderlist, If I say "Call Jenny tomorrow 6am" (because we have to catch a train @730). Wunderlist will notify me tomorrow at 9am (his default for morning).

Also if I say "breakfast tomorrow 9am". I should be able to get a notification x amount of hours before (let's say I decide my default is 2 hours before for this types of tasks - earlier than 11:59AM)

And if I say "lunch tomorrow 3pm" . Since is after 12pm I can be notified with the default 9AM or custom 2hr default (seen above). This type of settings can be edited by each individual.

Or if I say "dinner today 7pm" and now is 2pm, it should be able to give me a 2hr notification. Because realistically I might need to finish work faster and meet my friends for dinner in the other part of town (30-45min drive).

So please implement To-Do with better real life notifications or make them customizable for native language.

Thank you

Currently using Wunderlist and it also has this. Put in a sentence like 'Call person tomorrow' and it auto added the due date which made making tasks intuitive and time effective.

• Adil Mammadov commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just wanted to try Microsoft ToDo, everything looks ok, but notices that it is missing from Wunderlist right away. Waiting for it

• TedHoward commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This also seems necessary for decent Cortana & Alexa skills. Put another way - whoever is doing this for the assistant skills needs to make their code work for in-app text entry as well.

This is a must have for me!
    I will switch from Todoist if this and folders are implemented.

Completely the way to go. It should be based on AI so that it is not stagnant on just a few smart natural language support but also improving on its own as and when people add more forms of languages. For Example - Remind me in 10 days, every other evening, noon this Friday, 30 days from today, every 25th dec

← Previous 1 3 4 5

Feedback and Knowledge Base