How can we improve Microsoft To-Do?

Sub tasks

It would be cool, if we could add sub tasks to a single entry. The parent should be expandable, so that sub tasks would be visible at a glance, and progress should be visible without expanding the parent task.

4,065 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

ChrisChris shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

129 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I use this all the time in Wunderlist - which I will continue to use daily until you implement all the features in Wunderlist.

• OLLI-SOLLI-S commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I added a new suggestion here where I suggest that comments containing sub-tasks form Wunderlist should be AUTOMATICALLY converted into sub-tasks.

When you imported tasks containing sub-tasks form Wunderlist, then the sub-tasks are now in the comments of the tasks:
        * [ ] Sub-Task 1
        * [X] Sub-Task 2 (completed)
        * [ ] Sub-Task 3

These comments should be converted AUTOMATICALLY.

You find my suggestion here (please vote for it):
        https://todo.uservoice.com/forums/597175-feature-suggestions/suggestions/20113258-re-import-sub-tasks-from-comments-field

• Sherry BakerSherry Baker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would it be possible to add the ability to view time stamping so you can see when the subtasks were added? Something that could be toggled off and on for printing?

[ ] Task 1 (added July 14, 2017 8:12 AM)
        () Subtask 1 (added July 14, 2017 8:13 AM)
        () Subtask 2 (added July 14, 2017 8:14 AM)

Most To Do type programs log this information when a task is created, anyway.
        Some of us need to view/print it as a "cover our ascii" kind of thing. I can't tell you how long I've been blamed for missing a deadline when the task was given to me the day it was due and they tried to say they gave it to me earlier. This way I have a record of when each task or subtask was plugged in to the program.

• Mecca ThompsonMecca Thompson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think what would make a subtask feature stand out is if you could change the completion date. All of the to do software apps automatically select the completion date and time to the date and time you check off the task. Sometimes I do not get a chance to check of the tasks that I have created until days later. In microsoft task, I can manually set the completion date. It would be great if the subtasks completion date could also be manually set.

• TobiTobi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Good suggestion. The app should also show the measure of task completion using percentages. For example if I have five sub-tasks, that is 20% each for each task. Therefore, as I complete 3 sub-tasks, the app should show that I have completed 60% of my task till I complete the whole thing.
        This would be useful for a mini project task.

Current version doesn't allow you to add sub-tasks. When you do, please add tick boxes like Wunderlist.

Buenos dias,
        Las subtareas son el principal obstaculo actualmente para poder pasar de wunderlist a todo. Es imposible de organizar un proyecto sobre un solo nivel de tareas. Espero que esta actualización no tarde mucho tiempo en llegar.

• BillBill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This really should come before some of the other tasks to have planned.

• DavidDavid commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sub tasks are crucial. It is too bad that Microsoft introduced the product without it.

Bonjour,
        Les sous-tâches sont le principal obstacle actuellement pour un pasasge de wunderlist à todo. Impossible d'organiser un chantier sur un seul niveau de tache ! J'espère que cette mise à jour ne tardera plus longtemps !

• GregoryGregory commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Make it able to add sub tasks to a parent task and en set dates on for example each x'th date of a month, week, ...

• Frank ArnoldFrank Arnold commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there an update available?
        Why is this most requested feature still under review?
        Maybe Marcel Käding has an answer from the development team about the roadmap etc.

• P TP T commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The subtasks you should be able to assign due dates, which must not exceed the expiration date of the task to which they belong.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

Feedback and Knowledge Base