How can we improve Microsoft To-Do?

Sub tasks

It would be cool, if we could add sub tasks to a single entry. The parent should be expandable, so that sub tasks would be visible at a glance, and progress should be visible without expanding the parent task.

8,302 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Chris shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

472 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Max commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

>> Sub tasks are already marked as completed on a repeating task
        >> from the previous iteration (on iOS for sure, not sure about other platforms).
        It also happens on Windows 10 and Android.

>> If main task is repeating, don't mark sub task as completed in new date main task.
        I totally agree.

• Verbeelder commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

These are not real subtasks. I waited a long time for this to be completed, but I'm very disappointed. Now I've switched back to Todoist.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When you duplicate a list with steps guess what? The steps don't get duplicated. Was told three weeks ago this bug would be fixed with the next update. It wasn't. When I asked again I was told it would be fixed with the next update. It wasn't. Since you can't backup your work then you're at the mercy of Microsoft's buggy cloud. This is today's Microsoft. It takes years for them to make an checklist app clogged with bugs.

• Bob V commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

- Sub tasks are already marked as completed on a repeating task from the previous iteration (on iOS for sure, not sure about other platforms).

- Sometimes the subtasks don't show up on iOS app, even though the label 0 out xx steps completed shows on the task.

• OLLI-S commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Anna
        To delete a sub task just hover your mouse over the sub task and at the right of the sub task you see a small "x".
        Click on the "x" this will delete the sub task.

• Anna commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is great and I understand the future was just launched however I have difficulty figuring out how to delete a subtask that I've just created but don't actually need or gonna use. I can of course check it as done and hide it but there must be an easier way, no?

Hi guys,
        Thanks - this is great and love the steps however I've just duplicated a list and noticed that the steps don't carry over in the duplication.
        I'm hoping this is just an oversight?
        Pls advise.

• Fred Thomas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. This is not subtasks, not even close. The sub tasks need to show up in Outlook as does my day.

• David commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

‘Steps’ then don’t show in Outlook so no sure what is the use of them?

You need to add the steps to Outlook!!!

Created few subtasks. Then worked on my other tasks planning. Returned back and see no subtasks saved in the first place. I’m angry!

• Peter Taslimi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's really great that you think this is closed!!! However MS has failed for twenty or more years to introduce two basic requirements of task planning. 1. Subtasks and 2.scheuling of tasks in the calendar. Both of these features were fully developed within a wonderful PIM, Ecco. Since Ecco's demise I have been unable to find an app that can truly replace it. I am going back to Todoist since it does at least have subtasks and hoping that MS would ever catch up on this is probably futile.

• OLLI-S commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In the steps some features are still missing and there are also some bugs:

I have a recurring task (weekly task) that has steps.
        When I have checked (completed) all steps and also the task, then a new task for next week is created.
        But here all steps remain checked (this is a bug).
        I am using To-Do in Microsoft Edge.

When I check (complete) steps you should fill the tasks background with a procedural bar.
        Was a very nice and cool feature in Wunderlist.

When I have checked (completed) all steps then To-Do should ask me if the main task also should be completed.
        I know that there might be tasks that are not finished even if all steps are completed, so just ask the user (or add a global setting where I can set the default behaviour).

• HELVIO CASCAO DE PADUA commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Se já está disponível o recurso de sub-tarefas, como faço para instalar ou atualizar a versão ?? Não consegui inserir sub-tarefas no meu app

• Tina commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Synchronization doesn't function properly, sub tasks keep disappearing

• Greg Edwards commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank you for bringing this feature to the app. However, I've noticed a couple of quirks. I've noticed that marking all the subtasks as complete doesn't necessarily mark the main task as complete, which it should. I've also noticed that if you had subtasks in a recurring task, the subtasks propagate as complete instead of being reset to incomplete on the next occurrence of the main task.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 23 24

Feedback and Knowledge Base